I have a lot of hair. So much so that when I was five my parents cut it all off because it gave me headaches. Anyway, when I brush my hair I think I lose more than the average person. So it was not really a surprise when I found several (okay, many) loose hairs on the floor where I stand and brush it every morning and every night.
Now, that might not seem very significant, but here was my next thought.
"If someone came into my apartment when I was gone, they would totally know where I stand to brush my hair because of all those loose hairs on the floor."

That was just the sort of detail that Shawn would notice during an investigation. And, while uncovering the location of my hair brushing ritual might solve a case, it was a seemingly insignificant detail that could lead to a greater inference. In a book, it would be the sort of detail that might tell you more about the character.
That's when I realized that Shawn Spencer and his overactive observation skills would make an amazing writer. (Well, his observation skills paired with a child-like imagination and a talent for creative character naming every time he gives Gus an alias.) One of the first pieces of advice I offer aspiring writers is to become an observer of the world around you. And not only to observe details, but also to infer what those details might imply about a particular person, place or thing. Shawn is already the master of observation and inference.
So, you see, I think one of the reasons I love Psych so much is because Shawn would make a great writer! (Assuming he could ever sit still long enough to write an entire book.)
Hugs,
TLC
No comments:
Post a Comment