Self-publishing. It's a hot topic all over the internet and I get asked about it a lot. Aspiring authors ask how to promote a self-published book, whether I recommend self-publishing, or even why I would want a traditional publisher who gets a large percentage of the sales and just leaves me with royalties.
Let me tell you why.
My job as a writer is to (warning: shocker alert) write books. That's it. That's the absolute bottom line job description. Sure, in today's world I'm expected to do self-promotion, to go to book signings, answer emails, Tweet and Facebook and blog occasionally. Sometimes I even go above and beyond by getting bookmarks made, hosting contests and giveaways, or organizing a very awesome Splash Team. But that's all gravy on top of the writing. That's how I like it.
If I were a self-published author, that would all change.
Not only would I have to write the book and do all the promotion I list above--and more--I'd have countless other jobs to do, as well. I'd have to edit my own books. And copyedit them. And proofread them. I'd have to design the cover, layout the interior pages, obtain the ISBN number, and submit for the copyright. I'd also have to find a printer for the books, pay for the printing and the shipping, and figure out how to distribute the books to sales outlets. Even if I just sold the books through my website, I'd still have to ship them to the buyers. I would be responsible for any and all promotion, marketing, and publicity. I'd have to submit my own books for reviews, enter contests on my own, and in short do every single job of every single employee of the big publishers.
Frankly, I don't have the time to do that many jobs.
Think about it like politics. Imagine you want to run for President. If you really wanted a chance of winning you're not going to run as an independent. You'll choose one of the two major parties and run on their platforms. That means you'd get all the power and money and connections that come along with the huge organization. One your own, you might be able to wrangle some votes in your home town, but you can't win the presidency without getting votes in all corners of the country. What if you didn't know anyone in Boston or Tallahassee or Carson City? Well, the party does, and they'll campaign for you there. They'll get your name on the ballot and your spot in the debates and your never-ending supply of yard signs, bumper stickers, and campaign buttons. Without that kind of backing, you don't really have a hope in Hades of becoming President.
That's how I feel about writing, about publishing. If I just wanted to be on the city council, I might think differently, but I want to become President.* I want to be a bestseller. I want the very best chance I can get at forging a successful, long-term career. I don't want to do all the extraneous jobs that have to be done to get there. I just want to write the books.
Hugs,
TLC
* In a purely metaphorical way. I am just crazy and masochistic enough to be a writer, but nowhere near enough so to be a politician.

